Saturday, January 5, 2013

My World & Art

     When I talk about my interests in art I need to mention that I grew up surrounded by artists in my home in Guerrero, Mexico. Many of my family members have a talent in music or the visual arts, from saxophone players to singers. From Mexican folklore dancers to painters. Most of them do it for fun and have a side job that does not allow them to follow art to the fullest.


 














   I grew up in a a small farm in the countryside and therefore loved nature and its wonderful colors, but I was never too far away from my dad's paintings, my mom's singing and dancing, and my uncles' musical instruments.
 
 
Painting by Ambrosio Duque

      I have to admit that out of those options I liked drawing more than anything else. As a little kid, I preferred to draw the characters of Dragon Ball Z (a Japanese TV Manga) instead of the detailed faces of family portraits that my dad used to paint. 
 dbz - dragon-ball Photo

    I created my own drawings of Mexican historical events where the rifles and bloody army uniforms had a stronger presence on the paper than the Mexican flag or the Mexican eagle on the photographs that you would see in the history books at school. But I was never exposed to art studies, and only approached art-making as means of relaxation. Not as means of expression.


 
Mexican Crafts, Photo by Alfredo Duque
   
    In my Lawrence career, I had the opportunity to take courses in drawing and painting which allowed me to reflect on my understanding of the world through art. My experience in Mexico and the United States have shaped my understanding of different topics such as religion and motivated me to raise questions that not always have an answer.

Here is some of my work


                      Dia de Muertos


     Our Father, who art...



     American Dream



5 comments:

  1. Alfredo, this is beautiful! I love how the context of your childhood influences your work. Thank you so much for sharing your art

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very intriguing introduction! I'd love to see more of your work, but it's wonderful to be able to see all of the things that have influenced your perceptions of art and the world and how they have had an effect on your art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there Alfredo!

    I'm looking forward to another term of watching you explore and push your limits of artistic expression. Your work has been nothing short of spectacular!

    I really appreciated the fact that you chose to include some background information on how your love of art came to be with immense exposure to musical and visual arts in your upbringing. I think that has been a huge factor in how you perceive and express yourself artistically.

    Aly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the choice of colors in this work! Using both warm and cool colors to convey emotion and movement is very powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alfredo I love the combination of your families own work as well as your own in this post. It is very interesting to see how your family and growing up around art has influenced you and the work that you currently do.

    ReplyDelete