Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Sonja Thomsen

The Artist's Art

http://g.virbcdn.com/_f/cdn_images/resize_1600x1600/27/PageImage-471712-3656055-4621-Screenshot20120923at110002AM.png 

   I have always wondered about the relationship between the artist and his or her art and what is the importance of this bond. As an artist Sonja Thomsen has inspired me to think harder about what my art means to me. 

    Her photography is more than the subject matter, more than the process, it is herself. At least that is what I observed about her when she was giving her lecture at Lawrence University. When she thinks of a concept she starts by thinking what is her relation to that concept, she engages with the process always relating it to herself creating wonderful pieces that engage her audience not only at a psychological level but also at a physical level. 

    I am looking forward to apply these ideas to my own artistic development.

No comments:

Post a Comment